In Search of America

Guatemala Dia Diez


I woke a little before six to the sound of barking dogs. I wasn’t as grumpy though. I had fallen asleep early and had somehow miraculously slept through the sound of the barking dogs. I peered through the window, and saw one of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen. Then I walked outside and stood on the edge of the lake as I took in deep breathes. I took mental pictures before capturing it with my phone. That is something Coco has encouraged me to do, take in the moment first, then capture it with my camera. 

We grabbed one last shower at our sketchy Airbnb, packed everything up, and said our goodbyes. We headed to a cafe for breakfast. Both of us had hardly any cash left, so we picked a place we could use our cards. After breakfast, the waiter told us they don’t take cards, even though it clearly stated everywhere that they did. We stood a little stunned and scrounged around to see what we had. I found barely enough to cover the meal, but nothing else to leave them for a tip. 

We walked towards the pier and hopped onto a full boat heading towards Panajachel. I sat next to a guy with a Jackson Hole hat on and asked him where he was from. He said he is from Texas, but spends his winters working as a ski instructor at Big Sky, in Montana. I laughed and smiled at Coco. Somehow no matter where I go, I meet someone connected to Bozeman or Montana. We chatted about skiing and Montana. He told me to check out Big Bend National Park in Texas. He helps guide river trips there. He and his friend were heading to Antigua, while Coco and I were heading back to Guatemala City. We waved goodbye as we both said, “See ya this winter in Montana.” I love it when my worlds collide in places I never expect them to. Shows you how small this world is. 

We hopped onto our shuttle and headed towards Guatemala City. I took a nap to pass the four-hour drive. I woke up a few hours later, while pulling up to a tourism shop in Antigua. I looked at Coco confused. I guess we were taking an hour break in Antigua before hopping onto a different shuttle. 

We decided to use our break well and headed straight towards Y Tu Piña Tambien. As we power walked there, we ran into the employee who gave us the zucchini bread recipe. We smiled and said, “Hola,” as we passed by. Coco and I each ordered smoothies and pieces of zucchini bread. We got them to go and headed back to our bus stop. 

Our drive took an hour or so to get to the airport. When we arrived, we headed inside to find a place to wait until we could check-in. We passed the time by playing cribbage and reading our books. 

Once on the plane, we started watching the pastry episodes of chef’s table. Both of us practically had drool coming down our face. 

Two-hours later we landed in Mexico City. Customs was a breeze. We grabbed our bags and headed to find WiFi to order our Uber. A French gentleman tried to convince us to share an Uber. We politely declined and ducked into a restaurant to steal WiFi. We shared a biscuit as we waited for the French guy to leave. 

Our Uber ride to the hostel took twenty-minutes. We were dropped off in front of a black door. We nervously looked at each other and knocked on the door, praying we had been dropped off at the right place. A gentleman came to the door and invited us in, letting us know we had in fact come to the right place. 

We settled in, threw on pajamas, and passed out. It was a long travel day. But meeting people from Montana and having a to-go lunch from Y Tu Piña Tambien made it much more enjoyable. 

We are excited to explore the city tomorrow. 

Buenos Noches.

Sarah TumaComment