In Search of America

Mexico Dia Tres


After breakfast, we headed back to the coffee shop we had gone to yesterday. This time both of us enjoyed an almond milk latte. They had a piece of the matcha bread cut up in little bits out on a plate for tastes. I may have snuck two, because it is just so tasty. It is supposedly the best coffee in Condesa, where we are staying. It was a dang good coffee. 

We wandered around Condesa for a bit, looking for the laundromat we had been told about. We finally found it. The lady looked at us shocked, when we told her we would like it by the end of the day. We laughed awkwardly and said we we had a flight tomorrow. She nodded her head and told us that was fine. 

We crossed the street and entered in a cafe that had caught our eye. We needed some WiFi to get an Uber to the bus station. We had decided to go to Teotihuacan, the Mayan pyramids for the day. Our Uber driver was maybe our favorite that we have had thus far. He spoke some English and was able to tell us about his family. He, his kids, and grandchildren are all actors and models. He handed back pictures to show us, so we could put a face to the name. 

At most stop lights here, there are people who walk up and down with a variety of snacks or cigarettes they are selling. Usually we can tell what they are. We saw this guy walking up and down with something we couldn’t recognize. Coco asked our driver what it was. He promptly rolled down the window and bought one for us to try. It was some kind of water cracker sandwich with caramel on the inside. I think they are Mexican versions of stroopwafels. He kept making us practice how to say Teotihuacan, so we could tell the bus driver where we were going. We said goodbye to our Uber driver and headed on into the station. 

Once we bought our tickets for the bus, we headed out to the terminal. I am sure we looked like lost tourists, because we had wide eyes and looked very confused. A few people pointed us in the right direction and we stood and waited in line for the bus to come. The ticket guy took our tickets and pointed us to the bus. We hopped on, and found our seats. Five minutes later the same ticket guy came and told us we were on the wrong bus. Whoops. We checked with the other people on the new bus and we were now in fact on the correct bus. 

A little over an hour later we arrived. This was a public bus, not our tourist bus so a few people had to tell us to get off before we understood we had arrived. We walked off the bus into a chaotic zoo of people walking in every direction. People with menus tried to coax us into their restaurants while we shook our heads and power walked towards the pyramid entrance. This was definitely a tourist destination. Everything was was revolving around selling things. We paid the steep entrance fee only to find more peddlers. Coco and I obviously stick out like tourists, so I can understand why they were trying to sell us things. And I understand that many of them, this is their sole source of income. However, it was a lot. Every stall had toys that made the sound of a bobcat or tiger growling. Not only would they pull them out and show you which colors they had, but they would also demonstrate the sound it made. The noises of the different toys would go off every ten seconds or so all across the Mayan ruin park. 

We put our heads down and walked straight towards the steps of the pyramids. I can only imagine how amazing of a place it would have been back when they built it. It was impressive and beautiful, but also hard to enjoy the serene beauty when every few seconds someone is asking if I wanted to buy something or telling me they need my money. 

We hiked to the top of the pyramid and stood there taking in a few breaths. It was crazy at the top as well. I think everyone else felt the need to escape the chaos of everything going on below. We hiked down with the intention of hiking up the other pyramid. As we neared the bottom, both of us just felt like we needed to leave. 

As we headed out to find the bus stop, we had men whistling at us left and right, not to mention the restaurant employees waiting at the gate holding out menus hoping we might come in for an afternoon bite. Both of us looked at each other so overwhelmed, hot, and frustrated. I grew up in a city, moved back to a city from Montana, and have never felt like I was on sensory overloaded like that. 

We hopped onto our bus and headed to Mexico City. The bus stopped every few minutes at different bus stops picking up riders along the way. Before heading out we stopped at the main bus stop in the town. Two gentleman dressed in all black clothing wearing black face masks as well walked on. The scoured up and down the isle, pausing at each row. A gentleman in a button down with a video camera followed them, recording everything. A couple minutes later they left and both of us were able to take a deep breath. It was terrifying to say the least. We still aren’t sure what they were doing. 

I sat looking out the window for the remainder of our ride. We passed by towns that were colorfully painted different bright colors. The hilly landscape looked as though it were inspired by a page from a child’s coloring book because of how colorful it was. An hour later we pulled into the bus station. We gladly hopped off the bus and called an Uber to take back to the hostel. 

Once we were back at our hostel, we sat on our beds sipping the cold beers we had picked up the day before. It was a long emotional day and both of us felt it. 

Before heading out to pick up our clean laundry, we asked the lady working at the hostel for a taco recommendation. She gladly told us her favorite and dropped a pin on our phone to help us find it. We grabbed our laundry first and the walked in the direction she told us. We couldn’t find it. We circled for a half an hour and finally gave up. Both of us were beyond the point of hangry and just needed food. 

As soon as we decided to go back to Ojo de Agua for salads, it started down pouring. The hardest I have seen it rain yet this trip. We found a Starbucks with an awning to call an Uber. When we finally got to the restaurant we quickly ordered our food. Both of us inhaled our salads like we hadn’t eaten in weeks. It was tasty and just what we had needed. They didn’t have bread though, so we picked up a few rolls on the way home. The tumeric rolls were just what we needed to round out the meal. 

When we got home, we both sat down and enjoyed a few episodes of Friends before calling it a night. 

Tomorrow we have reservations at the Frida Kahlo museum before our flight to Huatulco in the afternoon. 

Buenos Noches.

Sarah TumaComment